FSSAI Full Form
The Full Form of FSSAI is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is the regulatory body authorized under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006. It is set up under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India. It is also known as the Food Authority of India. The Food authority monitors and checks for safe food manufacture, storage and administering practices of Food Business Operators(FBOs). FSSAI inspect for all FBO’s that they are following all the rules and regulations stated in the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006. Even, FSSAI is responsible to promote and protect public health by executing and supervising the regulation of food safety by appointing food authorities on the state level.
The FSSAI provides the FSSAI Licence to all the Food business operators, for the safety of public health. The FSSAi Registration is mandatory to obtain. In this article, we will discuss FSSAI, its Registration & Licensing, Eligibility rules and types of licenses.
What is an FSSAI License?
FSSAI issues the FSSAI License Registration India. In FSSAi Registration and FBO receives a 14-digit license number. This FSSAI License Number is provided to regulate the purpose of food security in India. There are various rules and regulation which all FBOs have to comply under the FSSAI Act of 2006. The license number should be printed on the food packages along with FSSAI Logo to certify that the food is fit for consumption.
Some of the examples are Haldirams, Maggie, McDonald’s, etc. Even Nowadays, people are more interested in ordering food online while ordering food items you can see the FSSAI License number mentioned for that particular restaurant. Food is delivered directly from the restaurants to the customers by a mobile app. Food Aggregator apps have been told by the regulatory authority to display the proper licenses of the restaurants. Without the FSSAI License, Swiggy and other food aggregator apps will not be allowed to deliver food. There are many food business operators which are spread in a different part of the world and countries. So, for carrying out such business FSSAI provides 3 types of license registrations. But who is eligible to obtain FSSAI License?
Who can apply for FSSAI License?
All the Food Business Operators can apply for FSSAI License in India.
- Food Business Operators having an annual turnover of more than Rs.12 lakh.
- Restaurants and Hotels
- Meat processing Units and Slaughtering Units
- Proprietary Foods
- Food Processing Units including of corresponding retailers and repackers
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units as well as Production Units
- Dairy Units inclusive of Milk Chilling units
- Food business operator having annual turnover between Rs.12 Lakh – Rs. 20 crores.
- 5 Star Hotels and above
- All Food Businesses involving retailers, distributors, suppliers, and caterers specify for state license can apply for a central license if their operations are at a big scale.
- Restaurants/ Food processing and handling chains with multiple branches across various states have to obtain the Central FSSAI license for the main branch/head office.
- Catering Business
- Food products at seaports, airports and railway station
- 100 % export-oriented food processing/production units
- Food processing units, re-labelers, and repackers who are processing more than 2 Metric Tonnes per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units
- Food business operators having annual turnover more than RS. 20 crore.
- Refrigerated storages having a capacity of 10,000 Metric Tonnes or high
- Wholesalers with their annual turnovers amounting to Rs. 30 Crores or more
- Food Catering services located at airports as well as seaports
These are people who can apply for the FSSAI License. Lets Discuss which types of licenses they require.
Types of FSSAI License Registration
There are 3 types of FSSAI License formulated by the regulatory body FSSAI. All the FBOs must apply for FSSAI Registration according to their requirements and category :
- Basic FSSAI Registration: This type of license registration is for all the small food businesses having their annual turnover more than Rs.12 lakh. For example-
- State FSSAI License: This type of license is for medium-sized food businesses having annual turnover more than Rs.12 lakh and up to Rs.20 crore.
- Central FSSAI License– The central FSSAI License is a type of license is for large-sized businesses having an annual turnover of more than Rs.20 crore.
Benefits of Registering FSSAI Licence
- Consumer awareness- The consumer nowadays has more information regarding which food has a good quality for consumption. The consumers are much interested in knowing about food products.
- Legal Advantage-The FSSAI registration is a legal process and all food business is inspected under FSSAI so food security is at a high level.
- Public acceptance- Its clear as The FSSAI license is legally processed and certifies FBOs so it can make trust and faith among the public to buy products.
- FSSAI logo- FSSAI has given a logo that is printed on food packages and makes its certified food product for consumers. Along with the FSSAI logo, the FSSAI License number is also printed.
- Business Expansion- With FSSAI certification you can expand your business and its easy to get loans from banks and funding which is required for expansion of the business.
- Quality check- FSSAI as the regulatory body do, conducts inspections for all food business operators who directly and indirectly provides food products.
On these grounds of benefits apply for FSSAI License soon.
How to apply for FSSAI License?
- Step 1: Visit the online website, https://fssaifoodlicense.in/. On priority, you must verify your eligibility criteria whether you are suitable for a State License, a Central License, or a Basic License. Select the category according to your annual turnover.
- Step 2: After login to the website and checking which license you are suitable for, continue to click on the “sign- up’ option. Input the necessary information along with a valid phone number and Email ID in the sign- up form.
- Step 3: Pick a username and password which will complete the sign- up. Logging in will enable you to have an account on the FSSAI webpage.
- Step 4: Sign up into your FSSAI accounts after getting a message or E-mail confirmation for your new FSSAI account. It is worth noting that the account created will be valid for only 30 days after which there is an automatic deactivation. The account user can register for the FSSAI license at the end of a month.
- Step 5: After logging in to your FSSAI account, go to the FSSAI license registration at https://fssaifoodlicense.in/ and mention the proper information.
- Step 6: Before submitting the completed form, the applicant should have a copy of it. Keeping a hard copy of the registration form will enable you to remember the information that you gave and also help in future reference if required.
- Step 7: After applying for the FSSAI license, you will notice a reference number on the form. Save the number as it is needed to help you track the progress of the FSSAI license registration form.
- Step 8: You will receive the approval certificate in a maximum of 15- 30 days which will be mailed and delivered at your address.
Documents Required for FSSAI License
The documents required for FSSAI License are :
- PAN Card
- Copy of Aadhar Card / Voter Identity Card/ Driving License /Passport
- Passport Size Photo
- Completely-Filled Form A signed by all directors/partners/proprietor/ Executive members of the society. Form A is for Basic Registration and Form B is for State & Central FSSAI License.
- Food Safety Management System (FSMS) declaration on the letterhead of the company
- Proof of Income determining the Annual Turnover of the Food Business Operator (FBO)
- Nomination of the person appointed by the firm/company in Form IX
- Self Declaration by Director
- Affidavit on Non-Judicial Stamp Paper
- Latest Utilities Bill (Electricity/ Water/ Gas Connection Bill)
- Copy of Rent Agreement (if Rented Property)
- Copy of Properties Papers (If premises are self-owned)
- Blueprint or layout of the proposed location
- Detailed list of Equipment and Machinery installed or to be installed at the location
- NOC and copy of the license from manufacturers
- Authority letter with particulars about the name and address of the person responsible.
- Memorandum of Association (MOA) and Articles of AssociatioWater Report Analysis from a well-established and/or a government health laboratory.
- Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) issued IEC (Import Export Code)
- Pesticide Residue Report of the water for units involved in the manufacturing of mineral or carbonated water
- Designated milk provider/ Source of Milk
- Proof of Annual turnover, if required
- Meat provider/ Meat processing units
- Certificates alotted by the Ministry of Tourism, if applicable
- Vehicles turnover proof, if applicable
Validity period of FSSAI License
FSSAI license validity is from 1 to 5 years. According to the FSSAI rules, the food business operator needs to appeal for the renewal of the license in 30 days and it must be applied before its expiry. Any FSSAI renewal application filed passing the expiry date is expected to pay a late fee of Rs. 100 per day for each day of delay. So, it’s essential for all food business operators to track and assure that the FSSAI license is valid at every time.
FSSAI License Renewal
Just as having an FSSAI license is important, but FSSAI License renewal is also important if FBOs want to continue there business. The extension of the validity of an FSSAI license can be for a time of 1-5 years. After that, the license requires renewal to continue with its benefits and brand mark.
The validity of the license is up to the candidate themselves, but they cannot miss out on renewing the license when it is nearing the end of its ownership. If the applicant declines to renew the license, then he or she is responsible for a penalty fine. If the license were to expire, then the business owner will be prevented from continuing the food activities that the business was conducting. He/she has to apply for a fresh license.
If you are planning to take FSSAI Registration we the services which reasonable and easy to access. FSSAI Registration done when you’re planning and maintaining a restaurant / Food Business can be a bit tedious process.
At FSSAIFoodLicense, one of the top food consultants across India, we are committed to enabling you to acquire your food license quickly and at economical prices.
Call +91- 875-000-8844 to get started!